Saturday, January 21, 2012

Beautiful Bridal HeadPiece and bonus Garter

I MADE MY FRIST BRIDAL HEAD PIECE!! So excited to show you all!! 
Here's my supplies: Vintage jewelry, silk fabrics, dupioni silks, silk satin, tulle, pearls, swarovski crystals, lace and a plain old needle and thread. I hand sewed the entire thing together!
The only headbands or headpieces that I had made before were for my infant daughter's newborn photoshoot. I have made some for my older daughter as well. I even made one to give as a thank you to my photographer/new friend (now my bride client) that shot our orchard family pictures. She did such an amazing job getting my vision that I wanted to give her a thank you.
As soon as she saw the one I made as a thank you she was ecstatic! She said right there, "You can make my bridal head piece!" I was a little hesitant at first but, she sent me a picture of one that she liked and it didn't look too hard. I had made the flower in the picture before out of fabric and they are beautiful.
So....I was up for the challenge!! 
The first step was finding the vintage jewelry. I originally found some blue jewels (at an antique fair with my sister) and we were going to pair it with an orange flower but, when the florist in maui (Yes, I did say Maui....I know....GORGEOUS location!) said that she couldn't guarantee the orange blue bouquet, we didn't dare have those colors in the headpiece if there wasn't anything to match it. I agree....it would look funny to have orange and blue in your headpiece if your flower bouquet doesn't match. So....plan B.....match the dress! 
We found a vintage broach/shoe clip and a pair of vintage square earings (the bride loves square). The back was perfect because I used the loop part that went around the ear to attatch it as the center of my flower by hand sewing it in place. I used wire cutters to cut the screw part that would hold it to someone's ear....so much easier to have peirced ears...don't you think? I didn't need that part so I clipped it off with wire cutters.
UPDATE
UPDATE
I finally downloaded some photos off my phone and found the picture of the vintage jewels. I found these three that would all work wonderfully on the Bridal headpiece so I texted this picture to the bride and she came and met me at the antique store. She chose the middle one because it reminded her of a seashell and she is getting married in Maui so it was perfect. It was my first choice too!
The flower is made from three silk fabrics. I used three slightly different colors/textures of fabrics to create dimension and depth. All of the fabrics worked beautifully together. I spent a lot of time making sure the flower was perfect since it was the main part of the head piece.
I added a ruffle, tulle, vintage lace, pearls, swarovski crystals and ostrich feathers. The back was finished with two pleats. I added these so the headpiece would be rounded and fit the shape of the head. Nobody has a flat head and I wanted the head piece to lay against the head with only the russian netting standing out and puffy and of course the feather.
This is the flower, ruffle, jewels and feathers all together and ready for the russian netting. The vintage jewels were perfect because she loves squares (the earings) and the larger jewelry was reminiscent of a shell......which is PERFECT since she is getting married in Maui!!  Both vintage piece of jewelry were stunning and the best part is that the antique store was having a 20% off everything in the case of vintage jewelry...SCORE! Vintage jewelry and at a great price.
The russian netting is added and hand sewn. Everything...and I do mean EVERYTHING was hand sewn on this piece. I wanted it to be an heirloom piece that the bride could treasure forever. 
When I finished the bridal head piece I was left with an extra earing. I wanted to do something special for her and decided I should make her garter to match.  
So I made a similar, simpler flower with the other square earing. Added some feathers, tulle and VOILA...a matching garter. I make it sound so easy but, this definetely took some time to complete. I think it took me a total of about eight hours for the head piece and the garter from start to finish because everything was made from scratch and sewn by hand. It was worth every minute because it turned out gorgeous! 
I love the square vintage earing center. 
The feathers and tulle add an element of flair. 
The feathers are smaller than on the head piece. Nobody wants long tickly feathers on a garter. So I used regular, smaller feathers and didn't use the ostrich feathers like on the head piece. 
The bride LOVES vintage and these definetely are reminiscent of vintage with a totally modern twist. 
I finished by putting them in a plastic rubbermaid box since they will be traveling by plane to their destination and I don't want them getting SMOOSHED! 
I called the bride as soon as I finished and we made plans to get together later that afternoon. I don't know who was more excited me or the bride? I LOVED how it turned out and she was THRILLED with having her vision come to life. She said "It's even better than the picture!" The flower on that one in the picture was really simple and this one has so much more detail. 
View from the back so you can see how it hugs the head and curves with the russian netting and ostrich feathers sticking out....so pretty! 
The jewels are so pretty and it is so neat that the one looks like a sea shell. It is perfect for her venue! Maui....how lucky!!
I've never seen a happier, more gorgeous bride....and she doesn't even have make-up on! She said she will send me a photo of the headpiece with her dress at their wedding in Maui so I will have one to show all of you.....just have to wait two weeks until the wedding. I am excited to see the bridal headpiece in pictures in Maui and can hardly wait...I can imagine how long two weeks sounds to the bride and groom!! 
So, my first attempt at hand making a bridal headpiece was a HUGE success! I am glad she talked me into doing it for her and expanding my repertoire(not just doing baby and girl headbands). I am excited for my new friend to be getting married and can't wait to see the wedding photos. Maui....uh yeah....jealous...it's snowing outside my door right now and a warm beach is sounding pretty nice right now!! Congratulations and many wishes for a gorgeous wedding day!
Cassy Final

1 comment:

Shannon Elizabeth said...

I Can't thank you ENOUGH for ALLLLLLL that you did for me!!! I'm so in love with it and it compliments the dress so much. You are SO talented!!
The pictures of me on here kind of make me laugh, but i'll have to get you knew ones when I get my pictures back from my wedding!!:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails